Monday, February 13, 2012

A Medieval Baby House

A few years ago, I saw a photo of a tiny medieval pottery jug. It was dollhouse size, and started me thinking about what kind of dollhouse someone in the 1400's might have had. As far as I know, there are no surviving examples, but why not a cabinet house? Luckily, I was able to conspire with my wonderfully talented friend David Hurley, who makes exquisite museum quality 14th-17th century furniture, he created a beautiful cabinet with space for a great hall, bedroom and "solar" (day room).

You can see the result, with a medieval lady by Todd Krueger, in the photograph at the lower right.

Now I'm making another medieval baby house as a special order for a client. It will have a slightly different color scheme from the original.

Here it is just as I was getting started. I'm using gesso to add a slight texture to the interior walls, which were then painted a soft white. The floors are molded "stone", painted warm grey and drybrushed with the same white I used for the walls to add texture. David left the back of the cabinet loose - it makes interior finishing much easier. It will be glued on later.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Nell, such a beautiful cabinet! And I love the little scene in the photo. I hope you will post a photo of the finished cabinet!

    ReplyDelete

Followers